Since I am A Cowboy’s Wife, I thought I’d share a few cowboy recipes from now on. First off is Tamale Pie! Recipes like this are great to feed larger crowds. This recipe serves about 6.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 package chili seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (3 1/4 ounce) can pitted black olives, drained
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup chopped canned pimiento
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Brown ground beef in skillet, breaking up meat with fork. Add seasonings and tomatoes; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in corn and olives. Combine cornmeal, salt and water; cook, stirring, until thick. Add pimento. Line greased, shallow 2-quart baking dish with part of cornmeal mush. Pour in beef mixture and make a border of remaining mush around edge of baking dish.Bake at 350 degrees F about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 5 minutes longer.